Thứ Tư, 27 tháng 4, 2016

Which famous scholar and poet always failed the triennial royal exams?

Tran Te Xuong (1870-1907).
His real name was Tran Duy Uyen, better known as "Baccalaureate Xuong" (Tu Xuong). He was born in the village of Vi Xuyen (at present in the city of Nam Dinh), a centre of learning where the triennial regional examinations took place; he was one of the most renowned Vietnamese satirical poets.

Tran Te Xuong presented himself for the triennial examinations a number of times but always failed because he would not bend to the exceedingly strict formal rules. In spite of his vast knowledge, he never progressed beyond the title of Baccalaureate, which he received at the late age of twenty-four. Because he lacked money, he never became a mandarin. He nursed bitter resentment for his failures.

If I fail tomorrow's exam, I'll leave
They can take that day for my deathday anniversary
I studied: The boiling rice never finished cooking
I ate no chili peppers, but the taste burns
My children must teach themselves
Only their mother will support them
I'll say "Gongxi" and "Merci"
And leave for China or for the West.

Previous
Next Post »

.